Things to KNOW
- The railway system has an important role to play in the transit transport corridors system linking seaports with LLDCs. Rail transport, especially over long distances, is associated with an operating cost advantage and shorter border-crossing wait time than road transport. Railways, as well as waterways, could serve LLDCs’ exports of low-value bulk commodities particularly well. However, railway infrastructure and services are in the majority of LLDCs in poor condition, making this mode of transportation unattractive to transit traffi c and therefore leading to its further decline. Concessioning of services along some corridors has brought quality improvements.
Things to DO
- Expand the railway network.
- Increase availability of equipment, including locomotives and wagons.
- Improve maintenance standards of track and rolling stock.
- Establish inter-railway agreements.