Things to KNOW
- Air transport offers LLDCs a means of avoiding the transit problems associatedwith overland and overseas freightmovements. Only very high-value-added and low-bulk commodities can support the costs of airfreight rates.
Things to DO
- Expand and improve physical infrastructure facilities (aircraft, runway, air navigation systems, airport handling and storage).
- Liberalize policies regarding the granting of traffi c rights for freight on scheduled services and lift any restrictions on cargo charter fl ight.
- Improve the effectiveness of existing freight capacity.
- Promote establishment and implementation of relevant transport agreements at the regional, sub-regional and national levels.
- Expand training programmes at the national and sub-regional levels.
- Development partners should provide technical support and technology transfer towards infrastructure development and maintenance of airports and air transport systems.