International Think Tank participates in the Brainstorming Meeting on the Priorities Of A New Development Agenda For The Landlocked Developing Countries March 20-21 2013, New York
The meeting aims to analyze and assess the impact of the geographical handicaps of LLDCs on their development prospects and the achievement of internationally agreed development goals and share ideas and lessons learned. This appraisal will provide a basis for future priorities, policies and initiatives that can address the key development needs and challenges of LLDCs and will directly contribute to the substantive preparations of the new global action-oriented framework for LLDCs to be adopted at the Review Conference in 2014.
Specifically, the brainstorming meeting focused on issues of the new landscape of international trade, trade facilitation, transit transport cooperation, and structural transformation of LLDCs economies, international support measures, emerging challenges and opportunities and the post-2015 development agenda.
During the brainstorming meeting Mr.Erdenetsogt Odbayar, Interim Director of the International Think Tank for LLDCs, announced that the think tank is standing ready to cooperate with international organizations and other stakeholders in order to contribute to the final review of the Almaty Programme of Action in 2014 and to the discussions on the post-2015 Development Agenda.
The meeting welcomed the idea of utilizing the International Think Tank for LLDCs for sharing of experiences and online databases and resources amongst LLDCs, and for mobilizing research work on LLDC issues.
Presentations and statements:
Session 1. The development challenges of LLDCs and their participation in the international trading system
- Mr. Gyan Chandra Acharya, Secretary General of the Second UN Conference on LLDCs, Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and SmallIsland Developing States
- H.E. Mr Saleumxay Kommasith, Permanent Representative of the Permanent Mission of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic to the United Nations and Chairman of the Group of LLDC
Session 2. LLDCs and international trade and trade facilitation
- Ms. Arancha González Laya, Chief of Staff in the office of the Director–General of the World Trade Organization
- Mr. Jose Rubiato, Head, Trade Logistics Branch, UNCTAD
- Mr. Takashi Nakao, Regional Development Manager for the Asia Pacific region, Capacity Building Directorate, World Customs Organization
- Mr. Suraj Vaidya, President, Federation of Nepal Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Session 3. Transit transport cooperation at bilateral, regional; and global levels
- Ms. Eva Molnar, Director, Transport Division and ECE focal point for APoA
- Mr. Igor Rounov, Under Secretary General, Head of IRU Permanent Delegation to Eurasia
- Mr. Marc Juhel, Sector Manager of the Transport Division in the Energy, Transport and Water Department, World Bank
- Mr. Donat Bagula, Executive Secretary, The Permanent Secretariat of the Transit Transport Co-ordination Authority of the Northern Corridor, Africa
- Mr. Alexey Stukalo, Deputy Co-ordinator/Head, Economic Activities, Office of the Co-ordinator of OSCE Economic and Environmental Activities, OSCE Secretariat
Session 4. Emerging challenges for LLDCs: climate change; desertification, land degradation; economic and financial shocks; food security
- Ms. Marcela Main Sancha, Senior Liaison Officer, Executive Direction and Management programme, UNFCCC.
- Ms. Nandhini Iyer Krishna, CBD/UNCCD liaison officer, UNCCD Liaison office, United Nations Headquarters
- Mr. Syed Nuruzzaman, Chief, Countries with Special Needs Section, ESCAP
Session 5. Priorities to structurally transform LLDCs economies and harnessing emerging opportunities, enhance trade, diversify, development of productive capacities and services sector
- Mr. Taffere Tesfachew, Director of the Division for Africa, LDCs and Special Programmes, UNCTAD
- Dr. George Assaf, Director, UNIDO New York Office
- Dr. Louise Kantrow, U.N. Representative of International Chamber of Commerce
- Dr. Cosmas L. Zavazava, Chief of Department, Project Support and Knowledge Management, Telecommunication Development Bureau, International Telecommunication Union Common Fund for Commodities
Session 6. International support measures and special attention to LLDCs
- Mr. Sandagdorj Erdenebileg, Chief, Policy Development, Coordination and reporting Service, UN-OHRLLS
- Mr. Americo Beviglia Zampetti, Macroeconomics, Development and Environmental Affairs, Delegation of the European Union to the UN
- Mr. Yiping Zhou, Director of UN Office for South-South
- Mr. Anders Aeroe, Director, Division of Market Development, ITC
- Ms. Agnes Soucat, Director, African Development Bank
- Mr. Erdenetsogt Odbayar, Interim Director, International Think Tank on LLDCs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mongolia
Session 7. LLDCs and the Post-2015 development agenda and sustainable development goals
- Mr. Jose Dallo, Policy Advisor, Post-2015, UNDP
Session 8. Priority areas for a new development agenda for LLDCs