The objectives of the Programme are to:
- secure access to and from the sea by all means of transport according to applicable rules of international law;
- reduce costs and improve services so as to increase the competitiveness of their exports;
- reduce the delivered costs of imports;
- address problems of delays and uncertainties in trade routes;
- develop adequate national networks;
- reduce loss, damage and deterioration en route;
- open the way for export expansion;
- improve safety of road transport and security of people along the corridors.
The Almaty Programme constitutes a sound and effective global framework for genuine transit transport cooperation, providing a winwin solution to both landlocked and transit developing countries that directly contributes to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.